• Sunday, Jun 26, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Almost 90% of Bangladesh’s workers are unskilled

  • Published at 11:33 am July 24th, 2017
  • Last updated at 04:32 pm July 24th, 2017
Almost 90% of Bangladesh’s workers are unskilled
The government will have to make the workforce in the country skilled if it wants to achieve the five to seven year growth targets, a study says. Finance Minister AMA Muhith unveiled the report titled “Lack of expertise in Bangladesh's labourer market” at the ministry on Sunday. Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS)’s report said skill gap was a major issue in the agro-food, construction and RMG sectors. According to the report, the domestic skill labourer demand will be 72.41 million workers in 2020. Of which, the demand will be 2.91 million in agro-food sector, 4.42 million in construction and 5.98 million in RMG sector. The report said Bangladesh only had 10.4% trained labourers in 2013 while the rest 89.6% workers were untrained. Addressing the programme, BIDS Director General (DG) KAS Murshid said: “We will fail to achieve the five to seven year’s growth target if we do not meet the demand of skilled labourers in the RMG, textile, construction and agro-food sectors by 2020.” He identified the overall skill gap in agro-food sector at 76%, where the scarcity of skilled labourer is 77%, semi-skilled 75%, and unskilled is 75%. The BIDs DG said: “The RMG sector is short of 119,479 skilled workers, 48,130 semi-skilled and 8,577 unskilled labourers.” Stating that the study painted a gloomy picture of skill labourers in Bangladesh, Muhith said: “In the current budget, we have taken up a project to create 500,000 skilled officers. “We will definitely increase number in the future.” Senior Secretary of the Department of Finance Hedayetullah Al Mamun was also present at the programme.
50
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail