• Monday, Sep 26, 2022
  • Last Update : 09:54 am

144 businesses to get VAT awards

  • Published at 04:03 pm December 9th, 2019
The National Board of Revenue (NBR) office in Dhaka Mehedi Hasan
The National Board of Revenue (NBR) office in Dhaka Mehedi Hasan/Dhaka Tribune

National VAT Day on Tuesday

National VAT Day is being observed on Tuesday across the country with the aim to build a VAT-friendly environment and increase interactions between businesses and revenue officials. 

The National Board of Revenue (NBR) Chairman  Md Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan is scheduled to inaugurate the opening ceremony of VAT Day and VAT Week at 7:30am at the NBR office in the capital.

Marking the day, VAT officials will bring out processions in the capital and other divisional headquarters early morning. Traders, VAT payers and celebrities are expected to attend the annual events.

The NBR chairman, earlier in a press conference, said payers of value added tax (VAT) would get cordial services and pay VAT in a hassle-free environment in the VAT Week.

144 firms to get VAT awards

A total of 144 business firms in different categories have been selected for awards for their highest VAT payments in 2017-18 fiscal. 

Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal is scheduled to hand over crests and certificates to the representatives of the firms on Tuesday at a program at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) in the capital.

Planning Minister MA Mannan and Finance Advisor to the Prime Minister Moshiur Rahman will join as special guests, while the NBR chairman will preside over the program. 

Of the 144 entities, nine businesses will get the highest VAT awards at national level and the rest 135 from district levels. 

The NBR earlier announced the names of the business firms through  separate gazette notifications.

According to the notifications, Square Formulations Ltd, Aristopharma Ltd and Rashidpur Condensate Fractionation Plant are the highest VAT payers at the national level in production category, while Hamco Corporation Ltd, SC Johnson Pvt Ltd and Siemens Health Care Ltd to get the awards in trade category and Chittagong Warehouse Ltd, Qatar Airways and Thai Airways in service category.

Two to three business entities were selected from district levels in production, service and trade categories. 

Contribution of VAT to revenue

The government earned Tk202,312 crore in the last fiscal year (FY2018-19), in which the VAT contribution was Tk78,694 crore, or 38.89% of the total revenue, according to the NBR.

The VAT share on total NBR revenue remained at about 35% over the last couple of years, said the NBR data.

The government collects VAT from four main sources: imports, local production, wholesale, and retail sale. 

Among the heads, VAT from imports contributes almost 40% of the total collection, while local trade and production contribute the rest 60%.

The revenue board chief recently said the NBR was going to introduce VAT law and working for bringing businesses under the VAT automation so that they could ease VAT collection and raise the tax income. 

Mosharraf said the tax to GDP ratio was 7.23 in 1991, the year the NBR introduced the VAT, he said, adding it increased to nearly 10% now.

“The tax-GDP is still lower than other developing countries,” he said, adding that the country needed more revenue to graduate the country to upper level.

The revenue target of the current fiscal year is Tk325,600 crore, with Tk1,17,672 crore coming from VAT.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail