• Friday, May 20, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Internet use surges during lockdown

  • Published at 08:59 pm April 6th, 2021
Representational photo Bigstock

Some 200 Gbps of data was used in 2 days

Internet has gone up drastically in the past two days as most of the people remained home after the country went into a weeklong lockdown to curb the rise of Covid-19 infections.

The figure comprises of 60% internet used by the internet service providers (ISPs), and the remaining 40% by mobile internet.

The return of remote work and home office led to the surge, as people had to conduct official work, meet through video calls, communicate using digital messaging apps and more, which needed more internet, said ISP and international internet gateway (IIG) service providers.

But this has not affected internet use in the corporate segment, as many officials are working from home now, hence diverting the internet use volume from corporate to residential segment.

The average  bandwidth use of ISPs has increased by 10%-15%, they also said.

All the ISPs mostly have unused bandwidth, they can avail amid this rise in internet use and provide uninterrupted internet. But the real picture can be seen soon once that stock runs out, they feared.

If the demand increases, they all have to buy more internet bandwidth, hence internet costs at user end may also increase, operators said.

Last year the use of internet bandwidth was 1400gbps around this period, said the Internet Service Providers Association of Bangladesh (ISPAB.)

It may increase more in the coming days, they also said.

Among the 200gbps, about 50% of the bandwidth is used in Dhaka, they added.

IIG company Earth Telecommunications' managing director Kamal Hossain told Dhaka Tribune that use of internet residentially, both broadband and mobile internet, has increased by 90% as online classes, and video conferences increased.

However, the sudden surge was notable. Although banks and financial institutions are using the internet, it is not significant compared to residential usage, he added.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail