• Wednesday, Nov 30, 2022
  • Last Update : 10:24 am

BSCCL to sell more bandwidth as internet usage soars amid pandemic

  • Published at 04:04 pm April 22nd, 2021
Representational photo Bigstock

The BSCCL has sold 1,600 Gbps of bandwidth, while the sale of an additional 40Gbps is in the pipeline

The Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company Limited (BSCCL) is gearing up to sell more bandwidth as internet usage soars amid the lockdown.

“We had a target of selling 1,450 Gbps by June, but we have already achieved that,” said the Managing Director of BSCCL Mashiur Rahman. 

The BSCCL has sold 1,600 Gbps of bandwidth, while the sale of an additional 40Gbps is in the pipeline, he said, adding that by the end of May, around 60Gbps more will be sold.

About 2,600-2,700Gbps of bandwidth is currently being used in the country, of which 1,600Gbps is being provided by BSCCL. 

The rest comes from India through International Terrestrial Cable (ITC) operators such as Summit Communications and [email protected]

BSCCL has 2,800Gbps of capacity from its two submarine cables. 

According to industry insiders, as people are staying at home amid the lockdown the usage of internet, especially social media and video sites like Facebook and YouTube, has gone up.

Last week, the usage of bandwidth went up by 200Gbps, they said. 

The figure comprises 60% bandwidth given by the internet service providers (ISPs), and the remaining 40% by mobile operators. 

Although the usage of bandwidth increased last week, no noticeable change has been seen this week. But the usage of Facebook has increased by about 70% this week, internet operators told.

“Among all content, Facebook users are more likely to watch viral videos. Besides, any viral topics, update of the coronavirus situation and lockdown also works to increase the percentage,” said Internet Service Providers Association of Bangladesh (ISPAB) President MA Hakim.

The usage of YouTube has also increased by 10%, he added.

Sumon Ahmed Sabir, Chief Technology Officer of [email protected], said the usage of their bandwidth has increased by about 25-30% than usual.

“We have capacity for around 350Gbps. Before lockdown, our bandwidth usage reached 260Gbps, but after lockdown it has reached 300Gbps.”

“If the bandwidth usage keeps increasing at this rate, we won’t be able to provide bandwidth to ISPs within the next 15 days. So, we need to buy more bandwidth and we have already applied for it,” he added.

Before March last year, bandwidth usage ranged from 1,050 to 1,100Gbps. When the lockdown started, it increased to 1,400Gbps during the month of April. 

Later it surpassed 2,000 Gbps.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail