• Monday, Jun 27, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Sanem: Only 9% pandemic-hit companies report strong recovery

  • Published at 05:40 pm August 28th, 2021
Bangladesh apparel RMG
Employees work between polythene sheets, as a safety measure to reduce the spread of coronavirus disease (Covid-19), at The Civil Engineering Limited garment factory in Dhaka, Bangladesh Reuters

64% of the companies reported a weak economic recovery

In nearly one year and a half since the beginning of the pandemic in Bangladesh, only 9% of the pandemic struck companies reported a strong economic recovery. 

Meanwhile, 27% of the companies reported a moderate recovery and a major 64% of the companies reported a weak economic recovery. 

The findings came out in a study published by the South Asian Network on Economic Modeling (Sanem) on Saturday.

The survey that led to the study was conducted nationwide among 501 firms during the month of July. 255 of the firms fell under the manufacturing category while 246 were services with 40% of them being based in Dhaka.  

As of July 2021, micro and small industries seemed to have the hardest time recovering, with more than 73% of them recording a weak recovery, according to the study.

 Medium and large firms in the meantime reported a weak recovery of 62% and 45% respectively.  

The study further mentioned the factors strongly contributing to the economic recovery are — foreign remittance, export of goods and services, vaccination programme, bank’s credit to the private sector, management of the second Covid wave, import of raw materials, goods and services and existing stimulus package and its disbursement. 

Meanwhile, it was also observed that the economic recovery was 57% till March 2021 from March 2020, a year of the pandemic. However, as of June 2021, the recovery went back to 35% again. 

As per stimulus packages, 65% of the firms said that they did not receive any stimulus. Meanwhile, 21% said that they received stimulus packages and 14% said they don’t know about any such package. 

94% of the companies who did not receive stimulus earlier still remained out of the stimulus packages while only 6% of them received stimulus, according to the Sanem study. 

Among the firms, the ready-made garments (RMG) stands at the top of receiving stimulus with 52% of them saying that they received stimulus. Meanwhile, textiles remained second with 36% and leather remained third with 30%.

63% of the firms who received stimulus packages also said that availing the package was problematic due to lengthy procedures. 56% said that they faced difficulty due to bank-related services while 33% said that they did not understand the procedure of application. 

During April-June 2021, 65.7% of the firms remained afloat with their own savings while 28.1% had to borrow money or take a loan. 

19% had to lay off their employees, 8.8% went for a salary cut and stimulus saved only 17.8% of the businesses. 

Only 1% of the respondents said that they had to relocate their factories to survive the pandemic. 

As per vaccination, 302 firms, which is 60% of the total respondents, said that their employees received at least one dose of the Covid-19 vaccine. The rest 40% said that their employees did not receive any sort of vaccination yet.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail