• Tuesday, Jul 05, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Experts: Lax monitoring gives rise to price hikes

  • Published at 08:23 pm June 13th, 2021
File photo of a kitchen market Mahmud Hossain Opu/Dhaka Tribune

'It has become impossible to control the market due to the inconsistent price hikes'

Experts on Sunday said that feeble price controlling mechanism was behind the recent trend in soaring price hikes of essential kitchen ingredients.

They made their remarks during a webinar titled "Consumer Rights in the Face of Rising Prices of Goods and Services" jointly organized by the Consumers Association Bangladesh (CAB) and Vokta Kantho.

Prof M Shamsul Alam, an energy expert, said that it has become impossible to control the market due to the inconsistent price hikes. 

He added that it could only be controlled if the imbalance between market monitoring and income revenue could be overcome.

The webinar was hosted by Syed Mizanur Rahman Raju, convener of CAB. 

CAB President Golam Rahman presided over the function.

Rajekuzzaman, leader of Sramik-KarmachariOikya Parishad, shed light on the ordeals faced by the consumers.

Highlighting a survey, he said 10% of the people in the country are affluent. Apart from this, the remaining 90% are directly affected by the price rise of domestic products. 

As prices of essential commodities go up, it puts pressure not only on wage earners, but also on the whole family. As a result, their mental wellbeing is disturbed. 

Referring to the rise in prices of goods and services in the economy as a whole, he said that 90% of consumers are forced to buy substandard goods and services due to the inconsistency in price hikes but with the same income, which has a far-reaching effect on consumers. 

He called for a more consistent pricing of essential commodities, and intensified market monitoring rather than just relying on inflation adjustment.

Other speakers at the webinar included Prof. MM Akash, Prof. Malay Bhowmik, Barrister Jotirmoy Barua and Musa Mia.

 They highlighted the far-reaching impact of price increases on consumers.

Kazi Abdul Hannan, editor of Voktakantho, called for reducing the inequality between disabled consumers and able consumers.

The second webinar was attended by journalists from home and abroad as well as members of the Consumer Grievance Redressal Committee CAB, Consumers Association of Bangladesh (CAB) and district and upazila representatives of CAB.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail