• Monday, Aug 08, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Coronavirus: Global daily tally of new cases steady

  • Published at 02:08 pm May 27th, 2020
Coronavirus test
Photo: Bigstock

The number of daily cases rose 2.3% on Tuesday compared to Monday

The number of new cases around the world was slightly higher, with the latest number rising to 91,840, bringing total infections since the outbreak came to light on December last year to 5,689,220.

The number of daily cases rose 2.3% on Tuesday compared to Monday. This marks a rise of 2,028 compared to the previous day, which saw 89,812. 

The highest daily rise so far was reported on May 22, with 107,521 cases from Covid-19 in a 24-hour period. Tuesday’s total cases were decreased by 14.6% from that day.

A week ago, on May 19, the number of new cases worldwide was 94,813 and a week before that on May 12, it was 85,155.

Till now, the number of active cases stands at 2,904,325.

Of the active case 2,851,195 (98%) were identified to be in mild condition while the rest 53,130 (2%) have been marked as serious or critical.

At the same time, 2,432,600 people from across the world have recovered fully from the infection or were discharged from treatment – which was 87% of cases which had an outcome.

The Covid-19 pandemic has claimed 352,295 lives since its discovery in December 2019 – which was 13% of cases which had an outcome.

In January, China effectively shut down Wuhan and placed its 11 million residents in effective quarantine after the novel coronavirus infection turned into outbreak.

The virus is thought to have emerged late last year in a Wuhan market illegally trading wildlife. It can cause pneumonia, respiratory diseases, among others, and spreads between people in droplets from coughs and sneezes.

Till now, coronavirus or Covid-19 has affected 212 countries and territories around the world.