• Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Coronavirus: Further drop in new virus cases globally

  • Published at 12:41 pm June 29th, 2020
covid-19 testing coronavirus
Bigstock

The number of daily cases fell by 7.6% on Sunday compared to Saturday

The world has witnessed a further drop in new confirmed coronavirus cases for the second day. 

According to Worldometer, a total of 163,172 Covid-19 cases across the world were recorded on Sunday, taking the total number of Covid-19 cases to 10,249,741.

The number of daily cases fell by 7.6% on Sunday compared to Saturday. This marks a fall of 13,396 compared to the previous day, which saw 176,568 new cases.

The highest daily rise so far was reported on June 26, with 194,190 cases from Covid-19 in a 24-hour period. Sunday's total cases were decreased by 16% from that day.

A week ago, on June 21, the number of new cases worldwide was 130,805 and a week before that on June 14, it was 124,455.

Till now, the number of active cases stands at 4,187,277.

Of the active cases, 4,129,930 (99%) were identified to be in mild condition while the rest 57,347 (1%) have been marked as serious or critical.

At the same time, 5,557,974 people from across the world have recovered fully from the infection or were discharged from treatment – which was 92% of cases which had an outcome.

The Covid-19 pandemic has claimed 504,490 lives since its discovery in December 2019 – which was 8% of cases which had an outcome.

In January, China effectively shut down Wuhan and placed its 11 million residents in effective quarantine after the novel coronavirus infection turned into outbreak.

The virus is thought to have emerged in a Wuhan market illegally trading wildlife. It can cause pneumonia, respiratory diseases, among others, and spreads between people in droplets from coughs and sneezes.

Till now, coronavirus or Covid-19 has affected 213 countries and territories around the world.