• Wednesday, Sep 28, 2022
  • Last Update : 10:24 am

A rotten top 10

  • Published at 04:49 pm September 27th, 2017
A rotten top 10
Recently, Rotten Tomatoes put together a list of the top shows of all time, voted by fans all over. However, this list, you will 100% disagree with. Film happens to be subjective, no matter if it’s on the big screen or on TV. Naturally, you will disagree with the shows that fall into the top 10 of other people’s list. But before going in deeper, you must know how exactly Rotten Tomatoes works in the first place. RT does not have the usual star-rating system for movies and TV shows. Take, for example, Tom Cruise’s latest American Made. The film is currently set at a 90% rating. This means that the collection of professional and certified critics have given this film a positive review. Out of the entire collection 90% of critics found this film to be really good or great. The other 10% weren’t too fond of it so it received a negative review. RT took a Fall (Autumn) 2017 TV survey that resulted in the 40 best TV shows of the past 20 years. There are clearly shows that are missing from the top 10 part of the list, yet Game of Thrones takes the number one spot. Majority of you will agree with GoT being number one, however, we must take into consideration that the show isn’t over yet. With a 95% rating on RT, GoT is definitely a titan of television – an event show phenomena no other show in history has come close to. That’s all fine and dandy, but a grand cinematic spectacle does not maketh the best show ever created. If you really had to vote for your top 10, you would have to consider many aspects of what makes a good film or TV show, and not because it’s a popularity contest. The Sopranos (97%) found itself at number 13, The Wire (96%) at 15, Mad Men (94%) at 28, Deadwood (100%) closing it off at 40 and the ridiculous list continues. These are four shows that clearly should have eased their way into the top 10, given the ratings on RT. The inclusion of shows such as Homeland (87%) and Stranger Things (95%) were odd inclusions as well. The former’s quality has dropped drastically or has gotten tiring over the past couple of seasons. The latter, well, the second season has yet to premiere. There are other shows on the list that share the same arguable characteristics. Ultimately, what we have here is a popularity contest. And that’s not a bad thing, but if you were to determine a legitimate list of the top 40 shows in the past 20 years, we’re pretty damn sure it wouldn’t resemble the list from RT’s survey.
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail