• Monday, Aug 08, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

Federer withdraws from French Open

  • Published at 09:25 pm June 6th, 2021
Federer
Roger Federer

It is likely that this was Federer's final appearance at the tournament

Roger Federer said Sunday he was withdrawing from the French Open despite having reached the fourth round, opting to focus on his primary objective of winning a ninth Wimbledon title.

Federer, a 20-time Grand Slam title winner, who will be 40 in two months' time, battled over three and a half hours until 12:45 Sunday morning to reach the last 16 with a 7-6 (7/5), 6-7 (3/7), 7-6 (7/4), 7-5 win over 59th-ranked Dominik Koepfer.

He was due back on court Monday to tackle Matteo Berrettini for a place in the quarter-final.

However, having undergone two knee surgeries in 2020, the Swiss star had admitted there were doubts over whether he'd make it.

Federer is playing only his third tournament since last year's Australian Open and has always said Wimbledon is his main goal.

He is chasing a ninth title at Wimbledon which starts on June 28. 

He is also scheduled to play the warm-up grass court tournament in Halle beginning on June 14, the day after the French Open ends.

Federer, who made his Roland Garros debut in 1999 and was champion in 2009, was playing a night session for the first time in his third round tie.

However, the almost empty 15,000-capacity Court Philippe Chatrier was eerily silent due to a Covid-19 curfew.

It is likely that this was Federer's final appearance at the tournament.

His return this year was only his second participation since 2015.

After winning his match, Federer said he was pacing himself in his recovery.

His performance won rave reviews from rivals following the match on television.