At least 17 people were injured in two separate incidents during Eid holidays in Chittagong.
Thirteen workers became ill after inhaling ammonia gas which was leaking from a pipe at an ice factory in the Char Pathargata area of Chittagong yesterday.
Of the 13, three were admitted to Chittagong Medical College Hospital (CMCH) while the other workers received medical treatment at private clinics in the area.
Uttam Chandra Deb, inspector (investigation) of Karnaphuli police station, said the incident occurred at the factory owned by one Ali Shaheb at around 11am.
As well as the workers at the factory, three locals also became sick after inhaling the gas.
Fire Service and Civil Defence sources said they attended the scene after being informed of the incident but the situation had already been brought under control by the factory authorities.
In a separate incident, four workers sustained burn injuries when a fire broke out at the bakery of Thai Food Limited in the Chandgaon area of the port city yesterday.
The injured workers were named as Shahadat Hossain Rubel, 24, Bimol Tripura, 25, Mohammed Mobin, 18, and Rajib Dash, 25.
Abdur Rawuf, officer-in-charge of Chandgaon police station, said the fire originated in an oven at the factory at around 8am.