• Monday, May 29, 2023
  • Last Update : 06:33 pm

Jony ‘confesses,’ then gets killed

  • Published at 09:53 pm January 20th, 2015
Jony ‘confesses,’ then gets killed

A leader of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal was killed yesterday in a “gunfight” with the members of Detective Branch of Police in the capital’s Khilgaon area, hours after reportedly admitting his involvement in hurling Molotov cocktail on a police bus.

It is the second incident of “gunfight” in the capital in the last two days when the law enforcers have been on high alert to resist arsonists and vandals during the BNP-Jamaat alliance’s indefinite blockade.

Chhatra Dal, the BNP’s student wing, has called 48-hour hartal in Dhaka division in protest against the death of Nuruzzaman Jony, 30. Party sources said he was the general secretary of Chhatra Dal’s Khilgaon unit.

Jony was accused in six cases – four filed under explosives act and two for assaulting police – filed with Khilgaon police, OC Mustafiz Bhuiyan said.

DB Deputy Commissioner (south) Krishna Pada Roy said Jony had been directly involved in the attack on police bus that left five policemen injured in Matsya Bhaban area on January 17.

However, Jony was not named in the case filed over the attack as accused.

On Monday, Jamaat-e-Islami leader Imrul Kayes was killed in a “gunfight” with the DB police members in Motijheel allegedly after being abducted.

A ward councillor of Narail municipality, Kayes was wanted in eight cases there including three over recent attacks during blockade, police said.

Jony’s family members claimed that he had not been involved in any kind of violence. Married a year back, he was a student of Habibullah Bahar College. His wife Munira Parveen is seven months pregnant.

“What has my son done? Why is he murdered? There is no need to keep us alive. Please kill us,” his mother Nilufar Parveen told reporters at the Dhaka Medical College morgue.

Jony’s brother Moniruzzaman, now in Dhaka Central Jail, was arrested recently in a case filed over an arson attack on a bus during the ongoing blockade.

According to the DB officials, they detained Jony from Nazimuddin Road in the capital on Monday. In primary interrogation, Jony admitted his involvement in the attack. He also named the other persons who carried out the attack.

Around 2:30am yesterday, the detectives took him with them during a raid in Khilgaon’s Jorapukur Balur Math area to arrest the cohorts.

DMP Deputy Commissioner Masudur Rahman said when the DB team reached the spot around 3am, miscreants sensing their presence started firing at the law enforcers prompting the DB men to retaliate. “Jony sustained bullet injuries falling in the line of fire,” he said.

Jony was taken to the DMCH emergency unit around 3:45am where doctors declared him dead, Khilgaon police said. The body had 15 marks of bullet injuries.

Police claimed that from the scene of “gunfight” they had recovered a pistol, six handmade bombs and a Molotov cocktail.

Jony’s paternal cousin Shahidul Islam told reporters on the morgue premises that Jony and two other youths had gone to the central jail to meet his brother Moniruzzaman on Monday noon.

“He talked with the family members over phone for the last time around 1:15pm. After a while, his phone was found switched off.”

Shahidul claimed that the DB men had picked him up from the jail gate area. The two youths have also been traceless since the incident.

Family members took the body for burial after the post mortem examination.