Here is what we know about what French President François Hollande has declared an "undeniable" terrorist attack:How the attack unfoldedA large white truck plunged into the crowd around 11:00pm Thursday night as hundreds of spectators were on Nice's beachfront Promenade des Anglais to observe the fireworks for France's national day, reports France 24.A spokesperson for the Interior Ministry confirmed that at least 84 people had been killed after the truck ploughed 2km through the crowd.The Ministry dismissed reports that people had been taken hostage, in response to rumours circulating online.According to witness testimonies confirmed by a police source, the driver, identified as a resident of Nice, pulled out a gun and fired at people before being shot dead.The assailant is yet to be named, but documents identifying a 31-year-old French-Tunisian man were found in the vehicle, according to a police source. The papers indicate the attacker is known to the authorities for common law crimes, but not to intelligence services.As police moved in after the carnage, numerous bullet holes were visible on the truck's windshield.Was this a jihadist attack?The onslaught has not been claimed by any group, but French President François Hollande said in an address to the nation early Friday that the attack was of an "undeniable terrorist nature".Prosecutors say the probe will be handled by anti-terrorism investigators."Investigations are currently underway to establish if the individual acted alone or if he had accomplices who might have fled," said Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet.The attack brings France under a state of emergency following the Islamic State group attacks in Paris that left 130 people dead in November.How has the government reacted?President Hollande announced that the state of emergency would be extended by three months and army reserves have been called upon to boost security.He also said France would strengthen its role in Iraq and Syria, where it is part of the international coalition fighting IS group jihadists.The president will chair a meeting of top military and security officials later on Friday to decide on possible further steps.Has anything like this happened in France before?In December 2014, two men smashed their vehicles into pedestrians in two separate incidents that left France reeling.The first driver shouted "Allahu Akbar" as he crashed into people in the city of Dijon, injuring 13.The government said the 40-year-old attacker had a long history of mental illness, and no ties to jihadist groups.A day later, a man rammed a van into a Christmas market in the city of Nantes, killing one person and injuring nine others. He then stabbed himself several times.Prosecutors said a notebook was found in his vehicle in which he spoke of his "hatred for society" and said he feared "being killed by secret agents".The man committed suicide in his prison cell in 2016 while awaiting trial.
Leave a Comment