Methamphetamine-spiked 7UP beverages have reportedly killed one person and sickened seven others in Mexico.
Health officials in Arizone have already warned those travelling to Mexico against the potential contaminated soft drinks, Coloradoan
reported on Friday.
Banner Health, a hospital network in Arizona and Colorado, released a statement about the reported contamination last Wednesday, saying, “Medical toxicologists and emergency department physicians are on high alert.”
The statement noted that the contamination could be life-threatening.
The meth-laced drinks can also cause various health complications, including irritation or abnormal taste in the mouth or throat, burning sensation in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting, difficulty in breathing and irregular heartbeat, it added.
Earlier on September 18, the health department of Baja California, Mexico ordered all the stores to remove 7-Up beverages after meth was detected in 2-litre bottles of the drink.