• Friday, Aug 19, 2022
  • Last Update : 04:24 pm

NZ arrests 2 over mosque attacks anniversary threat

  • Published at 02:00 pm March 4th, 2021
New Zealand-Gun law-Christchurch
File photo: An armed police officer stands guard outside the Al Noor mosque, one of the mosques where some 50 people were killed by a self-avowed white supremacist gunman on March 15, in Christchurch on April 5, 2019 AFP

In March 2019, Australian national Brenton Tarrant targeted men, women and children who had gathered for Jumma prayers in Christchurch, killing 51

New Zealand police arrested two people Thursday over online threats against two Christchurch mosques targeted in a white supremacist attack two years ago that claimed the lives of 51 Muslims.

Police in the South Island city announced the pair's arrest as Christchurch prepares for the second anniversary of the horrific attack on March 15, 2019.

They said no charges had yet been laid and did not provide further details.

"We take all threats of this nature seriously and we are working closely with our Muslim community," police said.

"Any messages of hate or people wanting to cause harm in our community will not be tolerated -- it's not the Kiwi way."

In March 2019, Australian national Brenton Tarrant targeted men, women and children who had gathered for Jumma prayers in Christchurch, killing 51 and injuring dozens more.

The self-proclaimed white supremacist was jailed for life last year without the possibility of parole.