The Taliban condemned the attack and announced it is investigating allegations of civilian casualties
A US drone strike targeting a suspected suicide bomber in Kabul on Sunday killed 10 civilians in Kabul, including several, family members told The Washington Post on Monday.
According to witnesses, the dead were all from a single extended family and were getting out of a car in their modest driveway when the strike hit a nearby vehicle, The Washington Post reports.
The Taliban condemned the attack and announced it is investigating allegations of civilian casualties.
"If there was any potential threat in Afghanistan, it should have been reported to us, not an arbitrary attack that has resulted in civilian casualties," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a written response to CGTN.
Pentagon officials said the suicide car bomber had been preparing to attack the airport in Kabul, where US troops were in the final stages of a withdrawal from Afghanistan, on behalf of ISIS-K, a local affiliate of Islamic State that is an enemy of both the West and the Taliban.
US Central Command said it was investigating reports of civilian casualties from Sunday's drone strike, Reuters reports.
"We know that there were substantial and powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties," it said.
The attack is the second US drone strike in response to a suicide bombing and gunfire attack outside Kabul Airport on Thursday that killed 13 US troops and over 170 Afghan civilians trying to flee the country.